syn1588® PTP Stack Data Sheetpdf
Introducing the PTP software, syn1588® PTP Stack
Available from APC Time, Meinberg/Oregano Systems’ syn1588® PTP Stack offers a complete implementation of the protocol stack for the IEEE1588-2008 standard precision clock synchronisation protocol. The syn1588® PTP Stack is a well proven, reliable and portable software and its outstanding functionality is verified regularly on ISPCS plugfests and SMPTE Interops.
Every IEEE1588 implementation requires two parts; both a hardware real-time task and a
software complex protocol task. The hardware performs the following basic real-time functions: packet matching, timestamping and accurate clock. The software performs protocol handling, user interface and configuration of modes.
Running a PTP system requires PTP hardware and PTP software. The syn1558® PTP stack comes out of the box with support for syn1588® hardware and Linux compatible NICs.
Supporting the widest set of PTP profiles, the syn1588® PTP Stack is proven, configureable, portable and reliable and can easily be ported to support other IEEE1588 hardware or other operating systems. The syn1588® PTP Stack is fully maintained by the experienced syn1588® engineering staff.
Oregano Systems is actively involved in the IEEE1588 standard’s revision working group and supports related research activities, allowing them to keep the products up to date with the latest developments in standards.
syn1588 PTP Stack – Technical Information
- Fully compliant with IEEE 1588-2008
- Full master and slave capability
- Support for end-to-end (E2E), peer-to-peer (P2P) and pure syntonisation mechanism
- One-step (syn1588® hardware required) and two-step clock support
- IPv4, IPv6, and Layer 2 (802.3, Linux only) transport
- IEEE1588 management mechanism
- Support for unicast operation
- Supported PTP profiles:
- Broadcasting Profile (SMPTE ST2059-2)
- Default Profile (IEEE1588-2008, Annex J3)
- Power Profiles (C37.238-2011, C37.238-2014)
- Telecom Profiles (G.8265.1, G.8275.1)
- Optional: boundary clock operation
- Natively supported hardware:
- syn1588® PCIe NIC (hardware timestamping support)
- syn1588® VIP (hardware timestamping support)
- Network Interface Cards supporting the Linux PHC interface and the Linux SO_TIMESTAMPING feature (hardware timestamping support)
- Natively supported operating systems:
- Linux (32/64 bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64 bit)
- Windows 10 (32/64 bit)
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016 (32/64 bit)
- 8051 (8-bit microcontroller) implementation with lightweight IP stack
- Easily portable to any other platform or operating system
- Well structured C++ code
- APIs for controlling and monitoring the syn1588®PTP Stack
- Support for IEEE 1588-2002 available as separate executable
- lSync: synchronises PC’s system clock (syn1588®hardware required)
- eSync: synchronises time to an external reference like a GPS receiver (syn1588® hardware required)
- Supports command line options
- Fine-grained configuration via configuration files
- Support for multiple instances on a single node
syn1588 PTP Stack applications
The syn1588® PTP Stack may be used to act as an IEEE 1588 slave within a PTP network. The Stack will automatically choose the best IEEE 1588 master in the network and will synchronize to its clock. The achievable accuracy depends on different parameters like the used timestamping mechanism (hardware or software), the local oscillator (standard crystal oscillator up to high-quality OCXOs), the network topology and the traffic load within the network. PTP aware network infrastructure like the syn1588® Gbit Switch can dramatically improve synchronization results.
The syn1588® PTP Stack may act as an IEEE 1588 grandmaster in a network. The multicast mode is supported as well as unicast mode allowing to synchronize hundreds of slaves. Oregano Systems recommends using PTP aware hardware with high-quality oscillators for all master applications (like the syn1588® PCIe NIC with OCXO).
he syn1588® PTP Stack is designed to be used with a syn588® hardware like the syn1588® PCIe NIC and offers a seamless and straightforward user experience. Some features like external synchronization to a GPS receiver is only supported in combination with a syn1588® PCIe NIC.
When using the syn1588® PTP Stack on a Linux PC (kernel 3.0 required) a standard Ethernet Controller with PTP support (like the Intel® Ethernet Controller I350) may be used for time critical operations like timestamping and clock adjusting.
When using a PC for high precision clock synchronization with additional hardware it is often required to synchronize the local PC clock as well. This can be achieved by using the syn1588® PTP Stack in combination with the add-on tool lSync.